Tuesday 15 February 2011

Work Experience



Hello, my name is Robyn Sheedy and I`m currently on work experience here at GGS. I`m a student at City College Norwich studying a media production diploma which I`m nearing the end of within a couple of months . Which is a scary thought that I'm a few months away from being let loose in the big wide world. After finishing my diploma I hope to gain work in the industry, and therefore hoped for a small taster in my work experience.

I found GGS by going past the building one day and then decided to find out more and discovered they covered a range of creative products and services,
which I thought would be great (still not proven wrong) especially since I had no hands-on experience and wanted as much knowledge of different areas as possible.

My first day began on Monday 14th of February which as you may know (unless you are Chris) is Valentine`s Day. So putting cards and gifts on hold at home I made my way in. Feeling nervous but mostly excited to finally get my teeth into some experience in the industry which I have longed to be in. I was introduced to the team at a regular Monday morning meeting which was followed by a tour of the building and list of health and safety checks. My first impression was that everyone seemed very friendly and welcoming. Remembering every ones names, however, would be a challenge. My first day was mostly spent on location with Chris taking photographs of a house which when finished the final images would be featured on an estate agent`s brochure/website. With the weather not looking so promising and with the sun popping out we decided to grab our chance at photographing the outside before photographing the interior. Here I learnt about the nature of a small photo shoot and what precautions to take and what to avoid. This was an interesting insight into on-location photography as we did not take the usual lighting equipment and used what was available to us by reflecting light. Later on I observed Chris as he adjusted the images to get the best final product and how working from RAW files is sometimes much more beneficial. On Monday I also spent some time with Paul and Keith learning about an Exhibition stand and rebranding project as well as learning about the different benefits of types of printing and colour variations between the overwhelming sized
printers and inks. I also spent a short time with Michelle catching her when she had a moment to herself taking a break from all her hard work.
She gave me an insight into relationships with clients and how much time goes into calls, emails, brainstorming and initial ideas.

Now the hard bit`s over I`m looking forward to the rest of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment